M.A. in General Psychology
Advance your career with our Master of Arts in General Psychology.
Improving people’s lives is the essence of psychology. At Derner, we train skilled psychologists and counselors to be both scholars and practitioners. We ensure that our programs address the current and future needs of society, and we foster the critical reasoning skills and depth of understanding of human behavior that are critical for success in psychology and clinical practice.
Why Should I Enroll in Adelphi’s M.A. in General Psychology Program?
- You can gain broad-based preparation for a range of careers in research, healthcare, business and law, or to prepare for doctoral study.
- Your career opportunities include:
- Research in behavioral sciences
- Clinical care coordination
- Case management
- Substance abuse counseling
- Behavioral health administration
- Human resource management
- Graduates have also been admitted to law school and doctoral-level psychology, social work and mental health counseling programs.
- You can concentrate in key job market areas, including human resource management and substance abuse counseling (CASAC-T).
- You can focus on electives in forensic psychology.
- All classes are conveniently offered during the evening.
What Will I Study in the Psychology Master’s Program?
- The 36-credit traditional graduate-level training program promotes a strong foundation in the science and practice of psychology. Courses include Psychopathology, Developmental Psychology, Research Methods, Statistics and an option to study Cognition or Contemporary Theory and Thesis Seminar. You will find an overarching psychodynamic orientation with strong contributions from cognitive, behavioral and evidenced-based models. The goal of the program is to provide a strong knowledge base in psychological theory, research and clinical applications in preparation for additional training at the doctoral or other professional level, advancement in a current work setting or both.
» View course requirements for the M.A. in General Psychology program
Who are the PSYCHOLOGY Faculty?
Our full- and part-time faculty members offer a wide range of expertise, including personality, addiction, trauma, forensics, research methodology and psychotherapy.
» Learn more about our psychology faculty
What will it cost?
The M.A. in General Psychology is a 36-credit program and carries the standard per-credit cost for graduate study in the Gordon F. Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies.
» View tuition and fee information
How do I apply?
Admissions requirements include:
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Two letters of recommendation
- A personal essay
- Transcripts from all previously attended schools
- Prerequisite courses: General Psychology and one additional elective (for example: Personality, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology or Developmental Psychology)
- General GRE scores are recommended but not required.
» Apply now to the M.A. in General Psychology program